Terms and Conditions for Students
WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY, AND TO CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. BY USING OUR SERVICES OR REGISTERING FOR A COURSE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY, AND TO ABIDE BY, THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS OR ARE NOT ABLE TO ENTER INTO A BINDING AGREEMENT, THEN UNFORTUNATELY YOU MAY NOT REGISTER FOR A COURSE OR USE OUR SERVICES.
Welcome to LabVine!
- These Student Terms and Conditions ("Terms") set out the terms and conditions that govern your use of LabVine's products and services (such as our website services and course content), as well as your registration for any short course or other program ("Course") offered by LabVine. These Terms can also be seen as your comprehensive Student Handbook, information source and rulebook. We hope that you find this information helpful.
- Although all these Terms are important, please pay particular attention to any terms that are emphasised in "bold" text.
- Acceptance: By clicking on the "Agree" button when signing up for a Course, you agree to be bound by these "Terms", which include, by reference, the Policies.
- License: Subject to these Terms, and to the payment of any applicable fees, we grant you a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable and revocable license to use our services and products, including all services associated with our Courses, and the Online LabVine Platform through which Course content is accessed (this "Online LabVine Platform referred to as LabVine" is our student management system that we use to facilitate constructive interaction between LabVine, students and stakeholders).
- Suitability of Course: Before registering for any Course, you are responsible for satisfying yourself as to the relevance and suitability of the Course for your individual requirements, through consideration of the information supplied through our Websites.
- Commencement of Course: You will only receive confirmation of your registration for a Course, and be allowed access to LabVine, once you have made the required minimum payment for the Course (unless otherwise specifically stated in the information pack relevant to your Course). There may also be a delay of access to LabVine until you are formally enrolled in our records, or until the Course commencement date.
- Minors: If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain the written consent and assistance of your parent or legal guardian to enter into these Terms or register for a Course.
Accessibility statement: : LabVine is committed to providing an online learning platform that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our Website and online platform (LabVine) for all our students, including those with disabilities, as more fully described below:
- Standards: We aim to conform to level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
- Reviews: LabVine is periodically reviewed by an accessibility expert who uses a range of different assistive technologies and computer settings to test the online platform for conformance with the above standards of accessibility, and we are committed to diligently and timeously resolving all areas of non-conformance.
- Exceptions: While we strive to ensure that LabVine conforms to level AA of the WCAG 2.0, there may be limited exceptions where it is not yet fully up to level AA standard. We are continually seeking out solutions that will bring all areas of the Website and LabVine up to the same level of overall accessibility. Please note that our marketing websites may not currently conform to level AA of the WCAG 2.0.
- Accessibility requests: If you experience any difficulty in accessing any aspect of the Website or LabVine, or would like further insight into our Accessibility Policy and accessibility accommodations, please don't hesitate to contact your Student Success Team or email firstname.lastname@example.org. LabVine reviews all requests for disability-related accessibility accommodations and is resolved to taking commercially reasonable steps to extend LabVine’s' functionality to accommodate all our students.
- Registration online: Students can register for Courses online through the links available on our LabVine Homepage by browsing courses.
Basic requirements: In order to complete a Course, you will need a current email account and access to a computer and the internet. You should be familiar with using a computer and accessing the internet, as you may need to be able to read documents in Adobe PDF Reader, view Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, and read and create documents in Microsoft Word. In addition, you will need to install Adobe Flash Player to view the video lectures, resources and activities available in each Course module. Both Adobe applications are available for download:
Adobe Reader: https://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO
Adobe Flash Player: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP
Browser requirements: We recommend that you use Google Chrome as your internet browser when accessing LabVine. Although this is not a requirement, we have found that this browser performs best for ease of access to Course material. This browser can be downloaded from the following website:
- Additional requirements: Certain Courses may require additional software and resources. These additional software and resource requirements will be communicated to students upon registration and/or at the beginning of the Course. Please note that Google, Vimeo and YouTube may be used in some of our Course delivery, and if these services are blocked in your jurisdiction, you may have difficulty in accessing Course content – we strongly recommend that you check with us before registering for a Course if you have any concerns about this affecting your experience with LabVine.
- Identification: During the Course presentation, you may be required to submit a digital copy of formal identification, which reflects the name provided upon registration, for authentication and record purposes. Acceptable forms of identification include an identity document (national ID card), passport, government- or state-issued driver's license, state or province ID card, or birth certificate. Non-submission of valid identification may result in a certificate not being issued to you upon completing a Course successfully. If you undergo a name change during the presentation of a Course, you will be required to update your details on your account or user profile. The name provided by you will be the one that appears on any certificate that may be issued to you on successful completion of a Course.
- Disclaimer: You are obliged to source and obtain access to the necessary software and resources required for Course completion at your own cost, and we won't be held liable for any consequences of the use of such software or resources. We do not sponsor or endorse, nor are we affiliated with, the entities responsible for software and resources unless expressly stated otherwise – these are simply programs chosen for their global use patterns and effectiveness for the Course outcomes. We may change the Course requirements for a particular Course at any time by advising you through LabVine or by email to your chosen email address.
- Course Activities: LabVine shall have discretion to deny your registration for any particular Course, remove you from a Course, or suspend your activity on a Course, on the basis of written reasons related to outstanding fees owing to the LabVine, misconduct or other lawful impediment. In the event that LabVine takes such action, your full Course fee will not be refunded, and you will need to engage with LabVine to resolve any dispute arising from this.
- Language: English is the language of instruction and administration for all LabVine Courses. All coursework that is required for assessment purposes must be written in English. This includes posts made on the discussion forum.
- Online Platform: Each Course consists of several modules delivered over a specified period through our Online Platform, accessible using the "LabVine" website link provided with your registration. All Course-related documentation is provided in electronic format and can be accessed through LabVine.
- Communications: You may receive communication by telephone, email or text message from LabVine representatives for Course administration and related purposes, including reminders of assignments and payments due by you, or other information related to your registration or these Terms. You agree and consent to receipt of such communications. You do have a choice to opt-in to receive any marketing communications that maybe unrelated to your Course. You have the choice to opt-out at any time.
- Access to LabVine: Upon your final enrolment for a Course, a profile will be set up for you on our Online Platform (or, if you already have a profile, you will use your existing profile for the new Course). If you are suspended from participation in a Course (for non-payment of fees or any other valid reason), we may suspend access to your profile on LabVine. Please note that there may be some time delay between registration and enrolment.
Permitted use: Only students who are registered for a Course may participate in that Course. You may not divulge your username or password to any other person, may not permit any other person to participate in the Course on your behalf, and may not impersonate any other person in dealing with LabVine or access the Online Platform referred to as LabVine using another user's username and password. If you forget your username or password, we will only take steps that we regard as being secure to ensure that you re-gain access to your profile. You are prohibited from doing the following:
- Reverse engineering, decompiling, or disassembling any software that is contained within Course content or on the Online Platform referred to as LabVine.
- Removing any notice of copyright, trademark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in the Course content (an example of this would be to edit the IPTC data).
- Sublicensing, reselling, renting, lending, assigning, ceding, donating or otherwise transferring or distributing the Course content or the rights granted under these Terms.
- Making available copies of the Course content on a network server or web server for use by others.
- Using, displaying or otherwise making available the Course content, or any other materials, in an electronic format that enables it to be downloaded or distributed to any third party via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement, or by any other means.
- Your responsibility: You agree that you will contact us immediately if you experience any unauthorised use of your profile details. You accept that you are responsible for the consequences of your use of your profile in LabVine, and for maintaining it and all information on it. We do take security seriously, but as the user, you accept all risks of any unauthorised access that could occur regarding your information.
- Access disputes: If there is a dispute as to who has the right to operate a profile in LabVine, we may deny access to the profile pending the outcome of the dispute to our satisfaction, and/or transfer the profile to the party claiming a right to it if we are satisfied that the profile was registered on behalf of that party.
- Platform capability: The Online Platform referred to as LabVine is optimally viewed on a desktop computer, tablet or laptop. It is fully compatible with all mobile devices; including smartphones and tablets You will be required to meet the cost of internet access yourself and of any upgrades required to your computer or mobile device.
- External websites: LabVine is not responsible for technical support for any external websites. Courses that require you to use external websites do so to achieve the best learning outcomes. If you have any queries relating to external websites, you are required to contact the support services of the relevant websites directly (although you may request assistance from your LabVine Team through LabVine or email). LabVine will not be liable for any costs, claims or damages that you may suffer as a result of your use of, or failure to access, any external website.
- Videos: Videos are provided in the majority of Course modules. These videos act as tutorials and lectures for the topics covered in the specific modules and are compulsory unless otherwise stipulated. You will need Adobe Flash Player installed to view the video lectures available in each module. If you are using a slower internet connection, then attempting to view these videos may be difficult.
Your primary contacts during a Course presentation will be your LabVine Team:
- The team will provide you with guidance related to administrative and Course-presentation based queries and will be available by email (email@example.com ) and the discussion forum in LabVine.
- General: All course evaluation methods may differ and will be stipulated in the course information pack provided at commencement or in the course prospectus.
- Modules: Modules may include assignments that count towards the final Course result. The Course Instructor will assess your assignments within an allocated time period. Any queries relating to your previous assignment that will affect the submission of your next assignment should be asked on the LabVine discussion forum.
- Graded Courses: Graded Courses are formally graded and assessed by the Course Instructor. The Course Instructor will allocate a grade for each assignment in accordance with the assessment criteria and procedure for allocation of marks.
- Peer review Courses: Peer review Courses are usually not formally graded and are assessed through a peer review process. However, select Courses have a peer review function within the Course which is assessed and graded. Unless the Course specifically requires that students be partnered with another student also participating in that Course, the assignments completed will be randomly allocated to a set of fellow students for review. You will be able to see who you are reviewing and who has reviewed you. The Course Instructor, Instructor or assistant marker where appropriate, also reviews assignments and provides expert advice and guidance.
- Assignment submission: Assignments are due to be submitted on the date and time as indicated, where applicable. No late assignments will be accepted after the specified deadline on LabVine.
- Late submission of assignments: If you wish to apply for an assignment extension you will be required to make this request to your head instructor.
- Holidays and work trips: Allowances for late submission of assignments will not be made if you are away on holiday or on a work trip. The Course dates are clearly provided in the information pack or documentation that is available to you before a Course commences, and it is your responsibility to ensure that you are able to complete the Course by submitting assignments on time.
- Assignment rewrites: Rewrites of assignments are not permitted. Courses are based on continuous assessment and because contextual feedback is provided after each assignment, rewrites provide an unfair advantage.
- Assignment re-marks: You may appeal any section of the course throughout the duration or within 30 days after completion.
- Final results: Your final result or completion status may be subject to a moderation process. This process involves a moderator reviewing the completed assignments or assessments and altering the results if required. After this process has been completed, you will be notified of the release of final results on LabVine. If you have outstanding fees or amounts owing, your final result will be withheld until such time as your fees have been settled in full. If you are dissatisfied with your academic standing (final result for the Course) you are within your rights to submit an appeal within 30 working days after the final results have been made available by contacting your Head Instructor or following the appeals process online.
General rules: You are required and encouraged to contribute to the enhancement of the experience of all students and to encourage enthusiasm for learning, intellectual honesty, vigour in debate, openness and respect for fellow students. All students are required to adhere to the following core principles or general rules and by working together, we can continue to foster a respectful learning environment where we improve lives through better education:
- Students must take responsibility for their own learning, while also interacting constructively with their fellow students and the LabVine Team.
- Students must treat all representatives of LabVine, representatives collaborating on a Course, their fellow students, and any other person encountered through LabVine's services ("LabVine Stakeholders") with dignity and respect.
- Students must not abuse or otherwise interfere with any LabVine Stakeholder in any manner which contributes to disrupting their work, or contribute in an intimidating, hostile or demeaning manner. In particular, Students may not contribute any intimidating or hostile comments in relation to any LabVine Stakeholder's occupation, opinions, race, gender, beliefs or sexual orientation.
- Assignments and all other academic submissions for assessment must be a Student's own work (except for assignments that explicitly permit collaboration). Students must not plagiarise or engage in any other form of academic dishonesty.
- Students may not make, distribute, reproduce, copy, or make use of any material in which copyright resides, without the permission of the author(s) or owner(s).
- Students must comply with any reasonable instruction of a LabVine representative.
- Plagiarism: Plagiarism can be defined as the intentional or unintentional use of another's work without providing reasonable and appropriate credit to the author or source of the work. Plagiarism includes, but is not limited to, the use of another's words, ideas, opinions, theories or data. It is your
Student rules on academic conduct in relation to plagiarism:
- Students must refrain from dishonest conduct in completing their assignments and must not copy the work of fellow students or published sources.
- Students may not allow fellow students, friends, family members, or any other individuals to complete their academic work on their behalf.
- By agreeing to the LabVine’s Terms and Conditions you accept a plagiarism declaration. This declaration is to be taken seriously as each student is accountable for their own work.
- Instances of plagiarism will be investigated by LabVine and may involve consultation with the relevant university or college collaborating on your Course.
- Consequences of Plagiarism: All incidents of suspected plagiarism are compiled into a report, which is reviewed by LabVine for assessment. You will be informed of the suspected incident(s) of plagiarism and will be provided with the basis of the suspicion. You will then be invited to respond and offer an explanation on the suspected plagiarism, which will be considered by a LabVine representative. If you are found guilty of plagiarism, you will receive zero for the assignment in question. You will also be required to write a letter of explanation and apology to LabVine and resubmit the assignment in questions. If you are found guilty of plagiarism, even for a first offence, where a satisfactory explanation is not given, you will not have a certificate issued to you, and may have your Course participation immediately terminated without the refund of the Course fee.
Pricing, payment and delivery
- Course fees: When you register for a Course, you agree to pay the applicable Course fee and such other amounts as may be due by you arising from your participation in the Course. The Full course fees are due before course commencement.
- Tax Invoices in electronic format: You hereby consent to the receipt of an invoice, which shall be sent to you in electronic format, to the email address that you provided upon registering for a Course. All invoices shall reflect the methods of payment that will be accepted in payment of such invoices
- Currency of invoice: All course prices are provided by default in US Dollar, but may be available in other currencies as well.
- Bank charges: In the event that bank charges and/or fees are levied on or added to a payment made by you to us from any country or jurisdiction, you shall be liable for all such bank charges and additional costs.
Payment of VAT: Unless the contrary is stated in your invoice or information pack:
- for all listed Courses the Course fees include VAT as it would relate to a person residing in South Africa or globally;
- all additional taxes which may be payable in a student's jurisdiction in relation to the Course fee shall be the sole responsibility of the student.
- Payment reference: When making payment to us, you must ensure that your invoice/order number (to which the payment relates) is reflected on your payment. We will not be held liable if we are unable to locate your payment, and as a result you are suspended from participation in a Course.
- Payment options accepted: Payment may be made via Visa, Mastercard, Diners or American Express Cards, Masterpass, Zappa, SCode Cash Payment or SID Instant EFT via the LabVine platform. Subject to the registration type and country of domicile, companies may be permitted to pay via bank transfer into a LabVine bank account, the details of which will be provided on the invoice should the option be available.
- Card acquiring and security: Card transactions will be acquired by LabVine via PayGate (Pty) Ltd who are the approved gateway for all South African Acquiring Banks. DPO PayGate uses the strictest form of encryption, namely Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) and no card details are stored on the website. Users may go to www.paygate.co.za to view their security certificate and security policy.
- Customer details separate from card details: Customer details will be stored by LabVine separately from card details which are entered by the client on DPO PayGate’s secure site. For more detail on DPO PayGate refer to www.paygate.co.za.
- Merchant Outlet country and transaction currency: The merchant outlet country at the time of presenting payment options to the cardholder is South Africa. Transaction currency is South African Rand (ZAR).
- Delivery: Subject to availability and receipt of payment, requests will be processed within 7 days and delivery confirmed by way of invoice via email.
- Promo codes: If you have been provided with a promo code and you would like to make use of it when you register for a Course, you will have to indicate this when registering for the relevant Course (where indicated), and agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this promo code. Should you register without utilising the promo code, the promo code will become redundant and you will not be entitled to receive the benefit of the promo code, including a refund of any part of the Course fee, once payment has been received by us. In addition, promo codes are non-transferrable and non-refundable - if you request a Course deferral, the promo code shall no longer apply to the fee payable for the deferred Course.
- Suspension for non-payment: If you fail to make payment for a Course by the due date for payment (as agreed during registration and recorded in your invoice), then we may remove you from the Course or suspend your participation in the Course. In such cases you will not be permitted to access the enrolled course until such time as the outstanding payment has been made by you.
- Reminders: You hereby acknowledge and consent to us contacting you in relation to payments due by you for a Course or in terms of these Terms, by way of email, text message, telephone calls, or other means as determined by us.
- Dispute: If there is a dispute between us relating to the payment of any Course fee, or the way in which you use LabVine or the Website, we may at our sole discretion suspend your participation in the Course for the period of the dispute.
- Responsibility: LabVine takes responsibility for all aspects relating to the transaction including sale of goods and services sold on LabVine, customer service and support, dispute resolution and delivery of goods.
Cancellations and Deferrals
- Outstanding fees: If you do not settle your fees in accordance with the agreed payment terms, you will not receive your final result for your Course, and we will not issue any letters confirming attendance or completion of Course modules. You will not be issued with a certificate until all fees have been paid in full.
- Cancellation of registration: If you wish to cancel your Course registration, you will need to contact support@LabVine.com to discuss your intention. A learning representative will consult with you to discuss the matter and to assist you in reaching an informed decision. Should you decide to go ahead with the cancellation, you will be required to complete and submit a cancellation of registration form, which will be provided to you by one of our Learning representatives. You can at any time cancel your invoice prior to payment for the Course.
- Course deferral: If you wish to defer your Course to the next scheduled presentation of that Course, you will need to contact your head instructor to discuss this intention.
Important restrictions on deferrals:
- Deferral of Course registration will only be processed once (no repeat deferrals can be permitted).
- All applications for course deferral must be made before exceeding 10% course progress.
- Assignments that have been completed up until the date of the deferral will not be credited to you upon re-registration.
- We do not guarantee that future presentations will be held. If you choose to delay your participation in a Course, you do so at your own risk, and we will not refund any part of the Course fee should the future presentation not be held.
- You may only defer from the current presentation to the next available presentation of the same Course. If you fail to register for the following presentation of the Course, you will forfeit your option to defer and will not be entitled to a refund.
- For the above reasons, deferral is only recommended if you genuinely encounter an unforeseen circumstance that forces you to defer taking the Course to a future date.
- Deferral to different Course: In exceptional circumstances only, you may be permitted by a learning representative to defer to a different Course, (in accordance with the procedure and subject to the terms of a normal deferral as set out above). In the event that this option is permitted by a learning representative due to exceptional circumstances being proven and accepted, you will need to pay a deferral fee equivalent to 25% of the full listed Course fee (from which you are deferring) and the difference in fees between the Course to which you are deferring and the one from which you have deferred. The full Course fee will be payable in advance prior to being granted the deferral, and you will not be refunded the difference if the cost of the Course to which you are deferring is lower than the cost of the Course for which you initially registered.
Refunds for cancellation will be paid in the following circumstances: All refunds will be made into your stated bank account irrespective of payment method used for registration. If you would like to request a cancellation kindly log a ticket with support@LabVine.com including reason for cancellation and baking details for refund.
For all cancellations prior to Course start date:
- If you cancel within 48 hours of registering and paying for the Course and your progress is less than 10%: You will receive a refund of any amounts paid by you in respect of that registration, in full, within 30 days after us receiving your request in writing for cancellation.
- If you cancel more than 48 hours after registering and paying for the Course: You may receive a partial refund by way of LabVine (PTY) Ltd.’s discretion.
- If you have completed more that 30% of any course no refund will be issued.
- Calculating time periods: For purposes of calculating the time periods stipulated above, the progress through the Course is measured as several weeks, or part thereof, as a percentage of the total weeks in the Course.
- Insufficient demand: We reserve the right to cancel a Course if there is insufficient demand, as determined by us in our sole and absolute discretion. In this case, you will receive a full refund, but no interest will accrue on any amounts refunded to you and any applicable bank charges will be offset against the refunded amount.
Classification of results and certification
- Classification of results for graded Courses: Graded Course results will be classified as stipulated in the assessment document. The requirements for passing the Course are included in the assessment structure information within the Course.
Certificates: Certificates of completion or attendance (as described in Course information packs) will be issued in your legal name upon successfully completing a Course according to the stipulated requirements for award of a certificate. No certificate will be issued to you if you do not meet the stipulated requirements for the award of a certificate. The following points should be noted in relation to certificates:
- Before receiving the final result or completion status, you will be required to update and maintain your LabVine profile. LabVine cannot be held liable should you provide an incorrect address or no address.
- No graduation ceremonies are held to issue certificates. Digital Certificates are issued and will be sent by email to your given email address. (LabVine makes use of a reputable online certificate management system that allows you or anyone else to verify the validity of the certificate issued)
- LabVine cannot guarantee the delivery date and time of a certificate.
- Should you choose to nominate a third party to receive or collect your certificate on your behalf, this will be done at your own risk, and LabVine won't be held liable for any loss or theft arising from this nomination.
- If a certificate is returned to the sender, you will be contacted and informed of the return. Certificates returned due to being unclaimed by the designated recipient will be re-sent by courier at your written request. Where a certificate is returned for a second time, you will be liable for the cost of re-sending the certificate.
- A duplicate certificate will be issued at a fee, where satisfactory evidence of destruction or irretrievable loss of the original is submitted. An affidavit or sworn statement to the effect that irretrievable loss has occurred, signed and attested before a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public, must accompany the application. The original affidavit or sworn statement must be sent to us and a third party cannot swear to an oath on your behalf.
- If you receive your certificate with a printing error, you are required to notify LabVine and return the erroneous certificate to the sender before an amended version will be issued. LabVine cannot be held liable for printing errors resulting from incorrect personal student information provided to us.
- Withheld certificates: If you are eligible for the award of a certificate and are under investigation for misconduct or such a matter has not been resolved, the award of a certificate may be suspended until the matter has been disposed of by LabVine. Where you are found guilty of plagiarism (even for a first offence) where a satisfactory explanation is not given, a certificate will not be issued to you. If you have outstanding fees owing to LabVine, your certificate will be withheld until such time as your fees have been settled in full. We will also not be able to issue a certificate should you fail to submit your identification and confirm your delivery address.
Limitation of liability and indemnity
- No liability for Course outcomes: We will not, under any circumstances, be liable for any costs, claims or damages that you may sustain or suffer as a result of registering for and/or participating in any Course or other service offered by us which is not relevant, suitable or does not meet yours and/or any relevant industry or commercial body's requirements. Under no circumstances do we guarantee your suitability for a particular Course based on the levels of difficulty. We cannot, under any circumstances, be held liable to you for any costs, claims or damages, if after the completion of a course you are not able to obtain employment or a promotion within your chosen field of study, or any other outcome you may believe completing a Course will assist you to attain.
- Limitation of liability: To the maximum extent permitted by law, you agree that we will not be liable for any cost, claims, damages (including, without limitation, indirect, extrinsic, special, penal, punitive, exemplary or consequential loss (such as loss of profits, business, goodwill, revenue or anticipated savings) or other damages of any kind, penalties, actions, judgments, suits, expenses, disbursements, fines or other amounts that you or any third party might suffer that relates to or arises from these Terms, or termination of a Course for any reason, whether or not anyone anticipated or should have anticipated that damages would occur. In no event shall LabVine's aggregate liability to you for any and all claims exceed the total amount of fees received from you in the six months preceding any cause of action.
- Acknowledgment: You acknowledge and agree that the disclaimers and limitations of liability set forth in these Terms reflect a reasonable and fair allocation of risk between you and LabVine, and that these limitations are an essential basis to our ability to make services available to you on an economically feasible basis.
- Indemnity: Subject to any applicable laws, you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless in respect of any claim that a third party might bring against us that relates to or arises from these Terms arising from registration for a Course. This indemnity includes claims arising from your use of LabVine in a way that does not comply with these Terms, or if we transfer your profile to another person, or if another person accesses your profile without your consent. This indemnity also includes all liability or loss that we might suffer as a result of a claim, including legal costs on the highest permissible scale and any additional legal and collection costs.
Interruption of LabVine Website or LabVine
Interruption of service: You acknowledge and agree that from time to time, the LabVine Website and/or LabVine may be inaccessible or inoperable, by reason of one or more of the following:
- Equipment malfunctions or faults.
- Periodic maintenance procedures, downtime, or repairs that we may undertake from time to time.
- Causes beyond our control, including, without limitation, interruption or failure of telecommunication or digital transmission links, attacks on the network and network congestion or other failures.
Where an interruption is anticipated or scheduled, you will be notified in advance of the planned interruption.
- No breach: Such interruption to the accessibility of the LabVine Website or LabVine will not be deemed a breach of this Agreement under any circumstances whatsoever and we will not, under any circumstances, be liable to you for any costs, claims or damages that you may sustain or suffer as a result of any interruption, inoperability or inaccessibility of the LabVine Website and/or LabVine.
- Security: We will use reasonable commercial measures to secure our system and your profile in LabVine, and related information, however, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will not be able to defeat our security measures. You undertake to notify us immediately of any compromise or unauthorised use of your account.
- Reservation of rights: Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the HTML, text, graphics, audio clips, video clips, source and/or object code and all other works (including trading marks and names) contained on this Website or LabVine or otherwise provided to students by LabVine, is owned by us or licensed to us, and we assert and reserve all of our rights in this regard. Access to or use of our services and Courses will not in any way result in an assignment or license of any intellectual property owned by us or any other party.
- Student content: The services and Courses may enable you to share your own content, including assignments, with LabVine, Facilitators, Representatives, and fellow students. You retain all intellectual property rights in, and are responsible for, the content that you share, however you specifically agree and consent that we shall be entitled to use (in our discretion) all content shared by you on LabVine for internal research and development, Course improvement and non-commercial purposes. In relation to specific Courses, a policy statement on intellectual property sharing may be included in LabVine for further guidance to you in the sharing of your ideas and assignments. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure the proper protection of your student intellectual property – if your student intellectual property will be best protected by way of trade secret, or you have not filed for protection of your protectable intellectual property, then non-disclosure may be an essential protection. We cannot, and do not, guarantee that any intellectual property shared on LabVine or otherwise through the Website will not be used by other students.
Warranties and disclaimers
- Intellectual property rights warranty: We warrant that in providing you with Course content and Course materials on the terms set out in this Agreement, we are not intentionally infringing any third party’s intellectual property rights.
- Disclaimers: All services, Courses and their content are provided "as is” without representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, in respect thereof, and in particular, we make no representations or warranties regarding the quality of the Course content or the fitness of the Course content for the purpose for which you acquired it.
- Student warranties: You warrant that all and any information that you provide to us, in accordance with this Agreement, in order to register for a Course or otherwise, is true and accurate.
Termination of participation in a Course
- Modifying and terminating services: We are constantly updating and improving our services and Courses. We may add or remove functions, features, or requirements, and we may suspend or stop our service altogether. You may also discontinue your use of our services and Courses at any time.
- Plagiarism: We reserve the right to terminate your participation in any Course in the event that you are found guilty of plagiarism in accordance with these Terms. Plagiarism is a breach of these Terms and no refund will be issued should your participation be terminated on this basis.
- Breach: If you commit any other material breach of these Terms and fail to remedy the breach within a time period deemed reasonable by LabVine after receiving a written notice to do so, we may terminate your participation in the Course for which you are registered, and you will not be entitled to a refund of any portion of the Course fee.
Complaints and dispute resolution
- General complaints policy: Whether it is positive or negative, LabVine encourages feedback from students. Where this feedback is a complaint about our Course, product or service offering, or our conduct, we are committed to addressing the complaint in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Complaints procedure: The complaints procedure ensures that there are clear and accessible means of making complaints and having them addressed. All complaints are taken seriously, and every effort has been made to ensure that LabVine can cater for complaints received on all levels, regardless of severity. LabVine will seek to address a complaint in a mutually beneficial and satisfactory manner, whenever reasonably possibly. A complaint can include complaints about the Course structure and presentation, academic content, or the actions or lack of action by LabVine or its representatives.
- Should you wish to lodge a complaint or bring a claim against LabVine, you are required to submit the complaints form on LabVine.
- We will strive to ensure that anyone giving feedback is treated with the utmost courtesy and respect, and in return, we expect that anyone giving feedback or making a complaint will do so in a fair and appropriate manner. Where we determine that a complaint is abusive, unreasonable, or a student is unreasonably pursuing a complaint that has previously been investigated, we reserve our rights in relation to our response, and in particular, may elect not to pursue the procedure set out below.
- Review and investigation: Once a complaint has been lodged, we will investigate and attempt to address the matter in question. At this stage, you may be required to provide supporting documentation or other evidence that may be relevant. In all cases, we will maintain open channels of communication and provide feedback or updates on the progress of the investigation. If a complaint cannot be addressed at its first stage, either party may request that the matter be investigated further. All escalations of this nature are referred to our Learning Advisory Committee who will investigate the matter further and recommend an outcome or course of action. Once the matter has been investigated, and due process followed, you will receive a written response informing you of the feedback, outcomes or suggested course of action related to the complaint.
- Feedback: Once a complaint has been fully investigated and due process followed, a course of action will be determined by LabVine. The result will either be that the complaint is upheld (in part or in full), and an appropriate form of action is taken, or, that no action is taken, in which case comprehensive feedback and reasons will be provided. This includes, but is not limited to, instances where you have not requested an outcome other than having a platform to voice your concerns.
Formal dispute resolution: If a mutually-satisfactory outcome, course of action, or conclusion cannot be reached following from the complaint’s procedure, or any other kind of dispute arises between LabVine and you, then you agree that either party (acting independently of the other) must request formal dispute resolution by way of mediation. In all cases, a party seeking and initiating mediation will do so at their own cost. If the parties are unable to agree upon the appointment of a mediator:
- for all disputes arising the appropriate Arbitration and dispute resolution intermediary will be approached.
- The decision of the mediator shall become final and binding within 14 days of delivery to the parties, unless one or both parties disputes the mediator's decision by written notice within that period. In the event of the mediation failing, either LabVine or you may pursue resolution of the dispute through arbitration or in a court of law, with such arbitration or court proceeding to proceed in:
All claims must be brought in the parties' individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding, and, unless LabVine agrees otherwise, the arbitrator or court in a dispute may not consolidate more than one person's claims. You agree that, by registering for a Course and entering into these Terms, you waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action, to the maximum extent permissible in terms of applicable law.
Nothing in this section will restrict our right to apply to a competent court for relief should our intellectual property rights be violated or threatened, or where otherwise appropriate to obtain urgent, injunctive or equitable relief.
- Confidentiality: We recognise the importance of protecting your information – as such, all complaints will be handled in a confidential manner. In cases where the internal sharing of information is necessary to resolving a complaint, reasonable steps will be taken to ensure a limitation on the number of people acquainted with the complaint.
- Recording of complaints: We will keep a record of all complaints and their outcomes. Complaints data is subject to periodic analysis, with the aim of continuously refining and improving our processes or product and service offering.
Africa: +27 21 913 8959
99 Jip de Jager Drive
Bellville, Cape Town
- Detailed description of goods and/or services: LabVine is a business in the diagnostics industry that specializes in training and development.
- Company information: LabVine is based in South Africa trading as LabVine Proprietary Limited and with registration number 2019/080096/07 and Directors Wilhelm Johann Boshoff and Albertus Abraham Nolte.
- Governing law: You agree that the laws governing your resident country shall be applied, their interpretation and any matter or litigation relating to or arising from them shall be adhered to.
- Country of domicile: LabVine is governed by the laws of South Africa and the UK and LabVine chooses as its domicilium citandi et executandi for all purposes under this agreement, whether in respect for court process, notice, or other documents or communication of whatsoever nature.
- Entire agreement: These Terms, together with the Policies, shall constitute the entire agreement between you and LabVine concerning your registration for a Course.
- Revision of Terms: We reserve the right to revise these Terms (including Policies) at our sole discretion from time to time. These revisions will become effective immediately on being posted to the Website and LabVine, however, for all material changes to the Terms, we will take reasonable steps to notify you of such changes.
- Conflict: If any aspect of these Terms conflicts with any information provided on our Website or in information packs or other Course materials, these Terms will prevail unless expressly stated otherwise.
- Severability: In the event that any part of these Terms is found to be partially or fully unenforceable because it does not comply with any law, or for any other reason, this will not affect the application or enforceability of the remainder of these Terms.
- Assignment: These Terms, and any rights and licenses granted in terms of these Terms, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by LabVine without restriction.
- No indulgence/waiver: If LabVine chooses not to enforce any part of these Terms, this does not mean that it cannot do so at a later time. No waiver of any term of these Terms shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other Term.
Date incorporated: 31 October 2018
Date updated: 28 May 2019